Horse Shows

My favourite thing to do is compete in horse shows. On this blog, I will be sharing my usual show routine and things I enjoy from the show. My favriote show to compete at is Tryon, TIEC. (Tryon Internatinal Equestrian Center) I love competing there because there are fun activities, the arenas are big and buetiful, and the food is amazing! Heres a little sneak peak of what it looks like.

(These photos are not of me and are from the Tryon website)

I also enjoy showing at other shows such as Triangle Farms, (in Raliegh, NC) and Segfield at The Park, (in Pinehurst, NC) but mostly Tryon. (in Tryon, NC) here is my schedule over the busy but amazing weekend showing at Tryon. 5:00 am is our early start to the day! I wake up, get on some of my show clothes such as my show shirt, breeches, belt, and boots. This is what it looks like laid out. (photo taken by me in my room)

Then we hit the road from the rental house we usually stay in. We arrive at the show before the sun does along my trainers, my showing buddies/people from my farm, and amazing pony, Squeak, are already there. My mom drops me off to walk Squeak, which lets him stretch his legs, while she grabs my breakfast. I will eat this after I show since my class is the first class to go, I have to get ready, and I have to get ready quick! My mom braids my hair into two braids. In the style I show in, hunters, you are required to either have your hair braided into two braids, or in a hair net. Since my class only has children and ponies, the judges like to see cute little braids and cute little ponies. Well, the second one is already a check for me! Right Squeak? Haha! After my braids are done, I put in some bows. Many people like me have lucky bows. When you where your lucky bows, you get good luck! Here are mine: (photo taken by me in my room)

Then I put on my gloves, jacket, garders, and gloves. Im all set, but what about Squeak? Well, first I groom him, or clean him with brushes. next, we tack him up. A saddle pad, saddle, and bridle. I hop on and warm up! I learn my course off of a piece of paper which says which jumps I need to jump in order. Once I have memorized that, I put my show face on and walk into the arena. The announcer will announce that I am about to do my round like this, “Next in the arena is number___ Louisa (my last name) and Arnaby Mighty Mouse.” (Arnaby Mighty Mouse is squeaks show name, or the name he is called at shows. I know it sounds weird but most horses have them!) Usually, I do a warm up course which allows Squeak to get his fear of anything in the ring out before I do my judged courses. I learn one course after another and do my best to impress the judge. My class competes over 2 feet and 3 inch jumps. after everyone in my class finishes their over fences, we will under saddle. This means we all spread out into the arena and show off how fancy out ponies can be. This class is judged on who’s pony stretches out the most, and how they move. After we finish that, the judge will announce who won that award. Then we will hear how the judge placed us in our over fences. The over fences, or jumping classes, are judged on who has the smoothest, easiest going round. Since I am the first class to go, I am able to just hang out around the show the rest of the day. Sunday goes the same except this time, we may add two classes! I know this sounds crazy, but sometimes on Sunday, I have to wake up even earlier! You may wonder why, how, and have so many questions, so Ill explain it! (Yay! even more confusing, long explanations!) This special class is called a derby. Derbys are confusing, weird courses that I wont hurt you brain with. We’ll just say they’re longer, and can have weird twist to them, like a jump you trot, or a jump you have to roll back to. Derby’s are judged on how handy, or how tight your horse can turn, and smoothness. Usually there is a big neck ribbon that looks like this: (This photo was taken by a photographer at the State Fair show in Raleigh. Its on the website KristenHannahPhotography)

This was in a derby at the State Fair, Raleigh, NC. Most of the time the derbys are called Pony Derbys. these are only for ponies competing to qualify for Pony Finals. Pony Finals is what it sounds like. All of the top ponies come together in August at Lexington, Kentucky and compete. Other than a derby, Sunday also adds a confirmation. this class is when you take off your pony’s saddle, hold them in the middle of the ring, and show how nice your pony can stand, how muscular they are, and believe it or not, how pretty they are. After all the classes I have mentioned are scored from a scale of 0/100, (you get a zero if you fall off or get three refusals, and an 100 if you are perfect which isn’t possible) the top two overall champion and reserve champion are announced. If you get one of these in the small, medium, or large pony division, you have access to go to Pony Finals. Pony Finals is my goal currently unachieved, but hopefully not for long! My most recent show was at Triangle farms, Raleigh. Squeak was great! My next show is in Aiken in two weeks. Here are some photos of my last show!

(Photo from the horse show photos website)

(Photo taken by my mom)

If you are interested, confused, or just want to talk more about horse showing, I will always be happy to at school!